Friday, March 14, 2008

Thanks!

We have completed the second successful Good Food Box run.

Thank you so much to everyone who participated. I can't speak for everyone but I am really happy with what I had in my box.

I want to say a BIG thank you to Becky and Mike for picking up the boxes. Thank you also to everyone for picking up your boxes so promptly, it really is helpful.

Cabbage
The question foremost in my mind is "what in the world do I do with all that cabbage?" I have a feeling I am not the only one who is wondering that either. So I thought I would include a coleslaw recipe that keeps for a long time (several weeks) in here. The only difference is that I usually add some celery seeds and I might or might not heat the oil and vinegar depending on how much time I have.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Angies-Dads-Best-Cabbage-Coleslaw/Detail.aspx

Becky says that using cabbage in stir fry is really good too. Just use it instead of Chinese cabbage or bok choi

Potatoes
Others have mentioned the over abundance of potatoes. I don't know why but I do not have this problem and usually end up buying more...

I have a great recipe for a Potatoe Leek Gratin (you don't have to use Leeks, but they are yummy) that will use up a fair amount of potatoes. If anyone is interested in that just let me know and I will post it.

There are a few other fun Swiss recipes with potatoes that I can include if people are interested.

Beets
I don't have anything great for this, but I know that Madeleine had a good recipe for a salad with beets. Maybe she can post it for us.

The other thing I have is a recipe for Beet bread (you puree the beets and use it right in the bread). Makes for very interesting looking bright pink bread, but kids usually love it and never notice that it is whole wheat.

Recipes Please
If anyone else has helpful ideas for using the GFB just let me know.

Anyone find that you have too many oranges?

2 comments:

Paula said...

Beet bread recipe PLEASE!!! How can pink bread be bad?

Paula said...

This is a yummy way to cook cabbage that isn't coleslaw, from "Still LIfe with Menu" by Mollie Katzen:

6 Tbsp. sesame seeds
3/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 medium-sized onions, thinly chopped
2 medium-sized carrots, thinly sliced
6-8 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped

1)Combine sesame seeds and salt in blender or grinder and grind until like fine meal. This is gomasio, or sesame salt. Set aside.
2)Heat large deep skillet. Add sesame oil and onions, stir-frying for several minutes. Add about a tablespoon of the gomasio. Keep stir-frying until onions are soft, 5-8 more minutes.
3)Add the carrots and cabbage, and sprinkle in half the remaining gomasio. Keep stir-frying until everything is tender, 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle in the rest of the gomasio and serve.